Category Archives: Planning
Regarding the planned get-together for January 5, 2018, at the Cattlemen’s Cut
If you have paid any attention to the news lately, you know that winter is here with a vengeance. the weather in Great Falls is balmy compared to what it was on January 1, but the East Coast is currently experiencing a blizzard that is closing airports and wreaking havoc with many peoples’ travel plans. It is expected to get worse before it gets better. The Deep South is experiencing snow the like of which it has not seen for decades. There are many people coming from elsewhere that are not able to get to Great Falls because of the weather. So the planned get-together at the Cattlemen’s Cut has been postponed until January 19.
If you have any questions, please call Franz or Meriam at 406-217:6034 or 406-559:0015.
We have firmed up plans for our annual Chanukah candle lighting for Monday, December 18th, 30 Kislev, beginning at noon in the Capitol rotunda in Helena. Governor Steve Bullock is scheduled to join us.
I will schedule a room for a meeting of the MAJCo representatives. More information will follow soon about agenda.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, Rabbi Ruz will not be with us this year for Yom Kippur services. Wendy and Devorah will lead the services, and we will live stream Kol Nidre services with Rabbi Ed Staffman from Bozeman again like we did last year, hopefully with better results this time. If someone can coordinate with Aaron Weissman to lead a mid-afternoon discussion, that would be great. Otherwise, the schedule will be the same. Thank you for your understanding. Please make it a point to attend services at the Bethel if at all possible. We all wish Rabbi Ruz a speedy recovery, and a happy and healthy New Year.
Now that there has been a break in the extremely hot weather, please come to the cemetery on Sunday, August 13, 2017, starting at 10:00 A.M., ready to clean and mow.
Please bring mowers, weed whackers, yard and leaf bags, cans of gasoline, and fleshig finger food and drinks for fellowship.
The best address for the cemetery is 81 Highland Road. To get there (from the Benefis East hospital), drive Southbound on 26th Street past the hospital for 1.5 miles and follow the road when it turns to the left. At that point the road will become Highland Road. Continue straight for a mile until you reach the cemetery.
Joy Breslauer, Ram’s Horn Editor
Aitz Chaim, Great falls Hebrew Association
Another thing we should plan to do before the start of the new year is to clean up the cemetery. If anyone wants to take point on organizing this effort, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and I will let the community know when to show up and what to bring. Thanks.
Submitted by Joy Breslauer
Todah Robah to the following Congregation members who have offered their hospitality to Rabbi Ruz Gulko and to provide the oneg:
- Friday, 06/23/2017: airport Pickup: Marty Foxman
- Friday Evening, 06/23/2017: Dinner hosts: Don and Helen Cherry
- Friday evening, 06/23/2017, following Shabbat Services, at The Bethel: Oneg: Laura Weiss
- Saturday lunch with Rabbi Ruz Gulko, after Morning Torah Study: Rabbi Ruz has asked that as many of us as can meet for lunch at Teriyaki Madness, 1710 Tenth Avenue South
- Sunday return to airport: Meriam Nagel
Please mark your calendars for these upcoming events.
- Friday, 06/23/2017, 7:30 P.M.: Erev Shabbat Services, led by Rabbi Ruz Gulko, at the Bethel. Oneg to follow.
- Saturday morning, 06/24/2017, 10:00 A.M.: Morning Torah Study, led by Rabbi Ruz Gulko, at the Bethel
- Saturday evening, 06/24/2017, 5:30 P.M.: Milchig (dairy) Potluck and adult discussion, led by Rabbi Ruz Gulko, at The Bethel. Please bring a dairy dish to share.
- Sunday morning, 06/25/2017: To be decided
The address for the Bethel is 1009 18th Avenue Southwest. click here for map and directions.
We are looking forward very much to Rabbi Ruz’s visit!
Rabbi Ruz has asked for some opinions regarding topics of discussion for her visit. Please take this brief survey to rank your topics of interest. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/G6L5RGQ
The annual Aitz Chaim community Seder will be held Tuesday evening, April 11, at The O’Haire Motor Inn, 17 7th Street South at 5:30pm. That is in just 2 short weeks! Please get your reservations in ASAP! We need to get the count to the caterer by April 6.
Please send your RSVP to Laura Weiss at email@example.com.
The meal will include all the traditional fixings and a multi course dinner including matzo ball soup, salad, brisket, chicken, potato, vegetable, and dessert. Cost will be $28 per member adult, $38 per non-member adult. Children under 13 are half price. A vegetarian main course can be made available upon advance request. The Seder will be led (by popular demand) by Aaron Weissman.
Payment is preferred in advance unless other arrangements have been made. Please be aware you will be responsible for the cost if you do not attend and have not canceled prior to April 6.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Submitted by Congregation President Laura Weiss
Please mark your calendars for these upcoming events.
- Saturday-Sunday, 12/24-25/2016, 24-25 Kislev, 5777: Christmas at the Mercy Home. Please see separate article in Ram’s Horn.
- Saturday, 12/24/2016—Saturday, 01/01/2017, 24 Kislev — 3 Tevet, 5777: Chanukkah.
- Saturday, 12/24/2016, 24 Kislev, 5777, 5:30 P.M.: Erev Chanukah. We will light the first candle of the Diane Kaplan Memorial Chanukkiah at the Civic Center. If you come at 5:30.30, you’ll probably miss it, especially if it is cold.
- Sunday, 12/25/2016, 25 Kislev, 5777: First day of Chanukah. We will light the second candle at the Civic Center at precisely 5:30 P.M.
- Monday, 12/26/2016, 26 Kislev, 5777: Second day of Chanukah. We will light the third candle at the Civic Center at precisely 5:30 P.M.
- Tuesday, 12/27/2016, 27 Kislev, 5777: Third day of Chanukah. We will light the fourth candle at the Civic Center at precisely 5:30 P.M.
- Wednesday, 12/28/2016, 28 Kislev, 5777, 12:00 P.M.: Menorah lighting at the Montana State Capitol in Helena, followed by a MAJCo meeting at 1:00 P.M.
- Wednesday, 12/28/2016, 28 Kislev, 5777: Fourth day of chanukah. We will light the fifth candle at the Civic Center at precisely 5:30 P.M.
- Thursday, 12/29/2016, 29 Kislev, 5777: Fifth day of Chanukah. We will light the sixth candle at the Civic Center at precisely 5:30 P.M.
- Friday, 12/30/2016, 1 Tevet, 5777: Sixtht day of Chanukah. We will light the seventh candle at the Civic Center at precisely 5:30 P.m. From there we will go to the home of Jerry and Nadyne Weissman, 2777 Green Briar Drive, for the annual community Chanukah party. Please bring a milchig (dairy) dish to share, and a hearty appetite for latkes and Sufganiyot.
- Saturday, 12/31/2016, 2 Tevet, 5777: Seventh day of Chanukah. We will light the eighth candle at the Civic Center at precisely 5:30 P.m.
- Sunday, 01/01/2017, 3 Tevet, 5777: Eighth day of Chanukah.