CHRISTMAS AT THE MERCY HOME 2016, 5777
Now that Thanksgiving is behind us, it is time to start thinking about helping out at the Mercy Home this Christmas. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this “minchag,” our Jewish community volunteers to run the 24 hour domestic violence shelter from 2:00 P.M. on Christmas Eve until 5:00 P.M. on Christmas Day while the staff spends time with their families. Anyone is welcome to volunteer – training is provided. The only stipulation is that a male must volunteer with a female due to the sensitive nature of domestic violence toward women. Since this is a “secret shelter”, the location of the shelter will be provided to you closer to Christmas.
Please be aware that this year, Christmas Eve is also Erev Chanukah, and Christmas day is the first day of Chanukah. We will be lighting the first candle of the Diane Kaplan Memorial Chanukiah at the Civic Center at 5:30 P.M. on Saturday, December 24, 24 Kislev. This will coincide with one of the shifts at the Mercy Home. Please refer to Calendar of Upcoming Events.
We customarily volunteer for 3 hour shifts starting at 2:00 P.M. on 12/24 through 5:00 P.M. on 12/25. Here is a list of the shifts that I need covered:
- Saturday afternoon, 12/24: 2:00 – 5:00 P.M.
- Saturday evening, 12/24: 5:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M.
- Saturday evening,12/24: 8:00 P.M. – 11:00 P.M.
- SaturdayOvernight from 11:00 P.M. to 8:00 A.M. (you can usually sleep as long as you keep the phone nearby in case there is a call)
- Sunday morning, 12/25: 8:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M.
- Sunday afternoon, 12/25: 11:00 A.M. – 2:00 P.M.
- Sunday afternoon, 12/25: 2:00 P.m. – 5:00 P.M.
Please contact Wendy Weissman at 868-5712 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to sign up.
Hope to see you there!