Here is what we have so far for the Break The Fast milchig (dairy) meal next Saturday evening, October 4, 2014, after Neilah. Please let Helen know what you might like to bring, or just bring whatever you think is missing. this is not an all-inclusive list.
- A couple of salads
- at least one pasta dish
- Possibly fish
We still need:
- Dairy Main Dishes
Todah Robah to the following Congregation members who have offered their hospitality to Morah Ruz Gulko for Yom Kippur:
- Friday, 10/03/2014: Airport pickup for Ruz Gulko: Marty Foxman
- Friday evening, 10/03/2014: Dinner hosts for Ruz Gulko: Aaron and Wendy Weissman
Please mark your calendars for these upcoming events.
Yom Kippur day schedule:
- Saturday, 10/04/2014, 10:00 A.M.-12:00 P.M.: Yom Kippur Morning services led by Morah Ruz Gulko at the Bethel.
- Saturday afternoon, 10/04/2014, 12:00-3:00 P.M.: Break
- Saturday afternoon, 10/04/2014, 3:00-4:00 P.M.: Discussion.
- Saturday afternoon, 10/04/2014, 4:30-5:30 P.M.: Yizkor
- Saturday afternoon, 10/04/2014, 5:30-6:15 P.M.: Neilah
- Saturday evening, 10/04/2014, 6:30 P.M.: Break the Fast Potluck, traditionally dairy (milchig.)
The address of the Bethel is 1009 18th Avenue Southwest. click here for map and directions.
Meriam Nagel has New Year’s cards for sale. She can be reached at 454-1123.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This is the bio sent to us by Morah (teacher) Ruz Gulko, who will lead our upcoming High Holy Day services.
RUZ (rhymes with buzz) GULKO
Ruz grew up in eastern Canada where she attended private Jewish day schools and universities in Toronto and Montreal. She has worked with most of the Jewish educational and religious institutions in the greater Seattle area since 1984, teaching Judaic Studies and Hebrew and leading prayer services, particularly at the Jewish Day School in Bellevue and at Herzl – Ner Tamid Congregation.
Ruz also trains teachers, writes curriculum, and lectures in the general community. She has led Rosh Hodesh (Jewish New Month) and Special Seder programs for women. Ruz’ passion is for exploring and sharing Torah’s radically humanistic teachings.
She started her free-lance teaching career in the fall of 2007, beginning a small school in her home –- GAN ARGAMAN (Purple Garden) – teaching all ages in all matters Jewish. Ruz is also a “chazzan-for-hire” on the local circuit, leading Shabbat services throughout the community.
She has served as the creator, organizer and Hazzanit for the participatory High Holiday services at Herzl-Ner Tamid Congregation since 1991.
Ruz loves to work with people of all ages, and believes that learning Torah and eating chocolate together could save the world.
How is it already the month of Elul? The year is really flying by, and before you know it Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur will be upon us!
I had the opportunity for a lovely conversation with our service leader and Cantorial Soloist for our High Holy Day services this year, Ruz Gulko. Ruz comes to us on Rabbi Fine’s recommendation, and has been leading services in the Seattle area for the past 25 years.
Ruz is putting her plans together for our Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur services, and would like to know if anyone would like the honor of reading from the Torah on Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur mornings. She plans on using the High Holy Day trope for the services, and will be glad to send a written copy of the text and an mp3 of the trope to any volunteers. If you are interested, please send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or place a comment on this post.
If there is anything specific you would like to see done at these services, please send me and Ruz a note, or just comment below.
May You Have an Easy Fast!
Aitz Chaim Kol Nidre and Yom Kippur Schedule
As we draw to an end of the Days of Awe, we prepare for Kol Nidre and Yom Kippur. We hope to see you at our services, which will all be at the Bethel, 1009 18th Ave SW, led by Student Rabbi Bess Wohlner
Kol Nidre services will begin at 7pm on 9/13/13 at the Bethel, 1009 18th Ave SW, led by Student Rabbi Bess Wohlner. Sarah Weissman will be our cantorial soloist for the Kol Nidre.
• Yom Kippur morning services will begin at 10 am on 9/14/13 at the Bethel, 1009 18th Ave SW, led by Student Rabbi Bess Wohlner.
• A discussion on Yom Kippur will be held at 3pm.
• Yizkor service will begin at 4:30pm
• Ne’ila service will begin at 5:30 pm
• A community potluck (milchig) break the fast meal will follow the conclusion of Ne’ila services. Please contact Helen Cherry to sign up for the potluck.
Mark your Calendars for Upcoming Services and Events…
- MAJCO Shabbaton, October 4-6 at Congregation Har Shalom in Missoula
- Aitz Chaim Services for October, 2013: Weekend of October 11-13, led by Student Rabbi Bess Wohlner
- Chanukah: 11/27 – 12/5. Watch your email and aitzchaim.com for more information!
- Bar Mitzvah of Max Weissman, Saturday, December 28. Contact Aaron and Wendy Weissman for more information.
Dip your apple in the honey, and carry the sweetnesss with you all through the year. May this new year be a good year for all of you! from Bruce and Joy
Todah Robah to the following Congregation members who have offered their hospitality to Student Rabbi Bess Wohlner during Yom Kippur.
Airport Pickup: Marty Foxman
Dinner host for Erev Yom Kippur: Don and Helen Cherry
5774 YOM KIPPUR SCHEDULE
The address of the Bethel is 1009 18th Avenue southwest. Click here for map and directions.