Some different versions of Hava Nagila: Same song/Same words, yet each with its own cultural twist
1) From Ballwood (Hebrew and Hindi) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdG9P1MsU5A
2) French Jews now in Israe bring the song some French style : http://www.tel-avivre.com/2015/03/31/peut-etre-la-plus-belle-version-de-hava-nagila-de-tous-les-temps/-
3) Everything is big in Texas: See this Texas sized version of Hava Nagillah:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WF6irnzAiI
4) From (yes) Iran: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVhxQxZRbww
5) In Hebrew and Spanish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVPr7jqUmE8
6) With a Russian flavor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfUz2BZa7UY
7) From Brazil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z326fgXfZxM
8) From the Caribbean The Harry Belafonte Version with English subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWIq4436nHk
Submitted by Jerry Weissman
A Flick & a Nosh! Movie Night and Potluck
May 16, 2015
Bethel Lutheran Church, 1009 18th Ave SW
We are so sorry that health issues are keeping Rabbi Ruz from leading services this weekend as planned. Rather than cancel our Jewish Weekend, we are going to hold a Jewish Movie Night and Milchig (dairy) potluck tomorrow evening at Bethel at 5:30pm. Please make a point to come out and join us!
From: Ruz gulko
Subject: Bad news!
Date: May 6, 2015
Shalom, friends, hope you are all well.
I had a nasty fall outside yesterday, ended up in the ER. No kidney damage or broken bones that we can tell so far, but very severe contusions on my back and side. I can barely walk or sit. I am crushed that I won’t be able to come out next weekend! I am so so sorry! I hope we can reschedule over the summer, even before the HH.
My very best to you all.
New Jewish words
Jewbilation (n.) Pride in finding out that your favorite celebrity is Jewish or that your offspring is marrying a Jewish person.
Torahfied (n.) Inability to remember one’s lines when called to read from the Torah at one’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah. (OR from the Haggadah at Passover)
Matzilation (v.) Smashing a piece of matzo to bits while trying to butter it.
Bubbegum (n.) Candy one’s mother gives to her grandchildren that she never gave to her own children.
Chutzpapa (n.) A father who wakes his wife at 4:00 am so she can change the baby’s diaper.
Deja Nu ( n.) Having the feeling you’ve seen the same exasperated look on your mother’s face, but not knowing exactly when.
Disoriyenta (n.) When Aunt Linda gets lost in a department store and strikes up a conversation with everyone she passes.
Hebort (v.) Forgetting all the Hebrew you ever learned immediately after your Bar or Bat Mitzvah.
Jewdo (n.) A traditional form of self-defense based on talking your way out of a tight spot.
Mamatzah Balls (n.) Matzo balls that are as good as your mother used to make.
Meinstein (slang) “My son, the genius!”
Mishpocha-dots (n.) The assorted lipstick and make-up stains found on your face and collar after kissing all your aunts and cousins at a reception.
Re-shtetlement (n.) Moving from Brooklyn to Ft. Lauderdale and finding all your old neighbors live in the same condo building as you.
Yidentify (v.) To be able to determine Jewish origins of celebrities, even though their names may be St. John, Curtis, Davis or Taylor.
Minyastics (n.) Going to incredible lengths and troubles to find a 10th person to complete a Minyan.
Feelawful (n.) Indigestion from eating Israeli street food.
Dis-kvellified (v.) To drop out of law school, med. school or business school — as seen through the eyes of parents, grandparents or Uncle Sid.
In extreme cases, simply choosing to major in art history when Cousin Irv’s son, David, is majoring in biology is sufficient grounds for dis kvellification.
Impasta (n.) A Jew who starts eating leavened foods before the end of Passover
Kinders Shlep (v.) To transport many other kids besides yours in your car.
Schmuckluck (n.) Finding out your wife became pregnant after your vasectomy.
Shofarsogut (n.) The relief you feel when, after many failed attempts, the shofar is FINALLY blown at the end of Yom Kippur.
Trayffic Accident (n.) Discovering that there was pork in your appetizer.
Submitted by Elliott Magalnick
Todah Robah to the following Congregation members who have offered their hospitality to Ruz Gulko and to provide the oneg:
- Airport Pickup: Marty foxman
- Friday evening,May 15, 2015, dinner with Ruz Gulko: Jerry and Nadyne Weissman
- Oneg: Don and Helen Cherry
- Saturday morning, May 16, 2015, after Torah study: Lunch with Ruz Gulko:
Also, a big thank you to Don Cherry for finding the best possible air fares and flight connections.
Please mark your calendars for these upcoming events.
- 05/15/2015: Shabbbat services, led by Ruz Gulco, 7:30 P.M. at The Bethel. Oneg to follow.
- 05/16/2015: Torah study, 10:00 a.m. led by Ruz Gulko at the bethel
- 05/16/2015: Milchig (dairy) potluck, 5:30 P.M. at the Bethel. Please bring a dairy dish to share. Adult discussion to follow, led by Ruz Gulko.
The address of the Bethel is 1009 18th Avenue Southwest. click here for map and directions.
We will also need to coordinate moving things out of our closet that same week end.
RAM’S HORN POLICY FOR LISTING YAHRZEIT MEMORIALS:!
Yahrzeit memorials are listed by consecutive Gregorian month, date, and year, if known, or at the beginning of the list for one calendar year following the date of passing.
Compiled by Aitz Chaim over many years, this Yahrzeit list is maintained by the Ram’s Horn. Please send any corrections or additions to firstname.lastname@example.org
May the source of peace send peace to all who mourn, and comfort to all who are bereaved.
|English Date of Passing||Hebrew Date of Passing||Deceased Relationship to
|Dr. Charles (Chuck) Astrin||Jan 29, 2015||17 Sh’vat, 5775|
|Rose Gran||Oct 14, 2014||20 Tishrei, 5775|
|Ada Handler||May 1, 1980||15 Iyyar, 5740||Grandmother of Wendy Weissman|
|Bessie Stiegler||May 23, 1998||27 Iyyar, 5758||Aunt of Nadyne Weissman|
|Bette Weissman||May 27, 2010||16 Sivan, 5770||Grandmother of David Weissman, mother of Jeff Weissman, Patricia Philipps, Ted Weissman, Sally Weissman and Gale Rietmann.|